Center of Culture and Dialog "Friedrich Teutsch" of the Evanghelical Church of the Augsburg Confession in Romania Str. Mitropoliei Nr. 30, RO - 550179 Sibiu / Hermannstadt Tel: +40 (0) 269/ 206 730 firstname.lastname@example.org http://www.teutsch.ro
HISTORY - A mass exodus of Romanian Germans took place after opening of the national borders resulting from the revolution of 1989. This confronted the Evanghelical Church of the Augsburg Confession in Romania with new challenges. One of the most important tasks became the rescue, collection and preservation of the art, culture and archival possesions. The idea was proposed that a central place in Sibiu/Hermannstadt could be established in witch the archives and objects could not only be preserved, but also organized, restored and evaluated. This would benefit researchers, students and other interested individuals as well as the church. Named for Bishop Friedrich Teutsch, a historian and cultural scientist, a “Culture Orphanage” was developed from the building complex containing the former orphanage and St. John’s Church, originally build from 1883-1911. This “Culture Orphanage” together with the Erasmus Bookshop and Cafe and other partners is unique in Romania.
THE CENTRAL ARHIVE of the Evangelical Church of the Augsburg Confession in Romania, which opened 2004, forms the heart of the Friedrich Teutsch House. It focuses on the period from the 17 to the 20 century but contains a rich tradition from the middle ages as well. Archival material from all church offices and from over 280 congregations is kept here. In adition, there are documents, bequests, a collection of early prints and a picture archive. It is also possible to preserve private collections in the Archive and receive assistance in their preparation.
THE ARCHIVE LIBRARY, with am emphasis on the history of the members of the Evanghelical Church A.C. in Romania, has at his disposal approximately 14.000 titles of specialized literature and periodicals in the German, English, Hungarian and Romania languages.
THE CHURCH MUSEUM - opened in 2007 on the top floor, contains approximately 350 square meters of exhibition space. A comprehensive overview of the history of the Evangelical Church of the Augsburg Confession in Romania, its congregational life and its worship life, is portrayed here. Sacred works of art and cultural artifacts, altarpieces, sacred vessels, sculptures, bells as well as valuable textiles and printings can be viewed. Along the permanent exhibitions, temporary exhibits and photo exhibits have been on display on the top floor since 2004. Included with the sphere of the museum is the St. John’s Chapel, witch has been open since 2007 for prayer, devotional services, whorship services, tours and chamber and organ concerts through the prayer initiative Ora-et-labora.
INFORMATION AND ECUMENISM - since 2004 the Teutsch House has a seminar room on the top floor available for use for scientific, educational or cultural events. The multi-purpose Terrace Hall can also be used for external events. Equipped with the latest technology, it is home to: The Ecumenical Research Institute of Hermannstadt with an extensive research library ( http://www.ecum.ro ), open since 2006 The editorial staff of the monthly journal “Kirchliche Blätter” (“Church Pages”) ( http://www.evang.ro/kirchliche.blaetter ) as well as The Religious Education Material Depository of the Lutheran Church ( http://www.evang.ro )